Let’s face it, mornings suck! And they suck even worse when you have arthritis. Everything is stiff, achy and it’s just tough to get going. Here’s my top 5 things that can help get those joints flowing!
1. Stretch out! Before those feet even hit the floor, do some mild stretching. Knee bends, back rotations, head turns and shoulder rolls will wake up those joints and get them lubricated!
2. Drink a glass of water. When you drink a glass of water in the morning, it will help stimulate your circulatory system and help increase blood flow. It’s a way to tell your body, “Hey! Time to get to work!”
3. Take some deep breaths. Did you know your respiratory system is extremely effective in waking up your brain?! Taking 5 deep inhales, and more importantly long exhales, will stimulate improved oxygen flow to your muscles!
4. Walk. Walking even 5-10 minutes in the morning increases blood flow and lubricates the joints. (Yes, even your neck and shoulders! Pump those arms!)
5. Eat solid protein. Put those danishes away! Your joints need good support from your muscles, and muscles need nutrients! Feed them what they need, not what they want. Eggs, lean sausage, and even (gasp!) bacon, is still better than that cherry danish. Now, that doesn’t mean you eat 8 pieces of bacon either! Moderation, please!
I hope this helps you get going! Do you do something different that works for you?! Let me know in the comments below. Your information can help others! Remember: this is a Joint Effort! (Pun very much intended! 😃)